Saturday, March 28, 2009

Trust Fund Hippies (1998)

You stood there as I
silently hollered curses of contempt
in higher education
have you surpassed your own genius?
time spent laying the foundation
for others to follow
does your raw talent no longer
rest in the heart of your emotion?
switch-backing
hitch-hiking
horse-riding itself
through a mountain of comparisons
when all comparisons are odious
and knowledge remains our two way street
I pass
you pass by
never smiling
never satisfied

I know what I want
someone to understand
to accept the art of difficulty
trying to find a reason behind
all the shit talking
ass watching
beer drinking
that goes on here

do we all just sit and watch our lives go by?
you sit there on that corner
guitar in hand
asking me for a quarter
fill your tank
your fix
your toyota land cruiser

we trust fund hippies who’ve cut our hair
trying to get a piece of that real job
real world
time share
hide our pot smoking from the man
who hides from him
who hides from her
who hides from me
in this never ending cyclone
of seesaw humility

No comments:

Post a Comment