Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Father Gone (For Toni Morrison 1999)

they said that he had robbed me
I did not understand
they said he placed the seed
the seed that only hate could reap
but I never shook his hand
never looked into his eyes
fleeting dumbfounded
awestruck in the light
the light of his true faith
the fate that he was a man

now I push against these bars
of this body
looking for the keys
and I pray that there are locks left
because I can't escape
I just can't escape
lord I keep trying
but I can't stop
blaming her bruising her
for him and them
and their thoughts of praise that scatter my self
my conscience
they dance whirlwinds on my eyelids
and seep into my dreams
as if they were the keys
to those locks I never knew
from a man
I never met
from a future I could only see
through eyes that could never
be my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment